Many people feel upset when they hear of root canal treatment. Even though many people think it to be painful, it is a pain-relieving treatment that is much safer and more effective than you think. The main objective of root canal therapy is to remove infections from within the tooth so that further damage to the teeth can be prevented. This endodontic treatment may be necessitated by the dentist in Oak Forest when the pulp that nourishes the tooth and provides moisture to the surrounding tissue becomes exposed. The enamel of the teeth deteriorates due to tooth decay or infection.
Signs That Suggest You Are In Need Of A Root Canal
- Swollen gums
- Cracked tooth
- Discolored teeth
- Pain at the time of chewing
- Trauma or injury to the mouth
- Extreme sensitivity to hot and cold
Advantages of Root Canal Therapy
Owing to the many benefits, Oak Forest dentists recommend root canal therapy for producing the desired results in the patient. It preserves your natural teeth and reduces the requirement for undergoing dental treatment. If appropriately maintained, the teeth that have undergone root canal therapy could last a lifetime.
Some of the benefits, to name among a few, includes:
- It is less painful compared to tooth extraction. Oak Forest dentists may administer anesthesia to keep you comfortable during the procedure.
- It is not only a quick process but practical too. It can also prevent tooth extraction and follow-up visits that may be required for dentures, dental implants, etc.
- A customized artificial dental crown will be placed to complete the root canal treatment. Thus not only aesthetics but the functionality of the teeth can also be restored with the help of root canal therapy. It also prevents teeth from shifting.
What To Expect During The Treatment?
During the consultation, the dentist in Oak Forest will perform a detailed oral examination with the help of x-rays. The first process includes cleaning the teeth by removing the diseased pulp tissue by making a small access hole on top of the teeth.
Afterward, the canals will be cleaned, shaped, and disinfected using specialized tools. The canals will then be filled using antibacterial material before sealing the tooth. Finally, a dental crown will be placed on top of the root, eliminating the pain when biting or chewing.
Aftercare is essential for preventing further infections. The endodontist may prescribe some medications and aftercare instructions, which you must follow as directed. Schedule an appointment with the best dentist in Oak Forest if you need root canal therapy.